May 19, 2009

Face Masks and Swine Flu

My earlier questions (May 7 post) about whether face masks will be available if the "novel H1N1" (aka Swine!) flu becomes more Spanishy over time has been answered by an excellent article in today's Time Magazine. (We'll miss the mainstream news media, won't we?) "New Pandemic Fear: A Shortage of Surgical Masks".
Short answer -- yes, they'll be in shortage, but maybe they don't work anyway. All I know is that I rub my nose a lot, and having something between my hands and it would be a good thing in an airplane, or anywhere in public, for that matter. Hand sanitizer is still a must, of course.
Friend Linda (a true health policy wonk--some of you know her) shared 2 N95 masks with me on my last plane trip -- which I still have (thankyoulinda) -- and also shared the following email (from May 7) from a major distributor of N95 masks :
The N95 mask that you are looking for is on a manufacturer backorder currently. We do have a similar N95 mask. It is from Kimberly Clark. Our item # is 153-4801. The difference is it is slightly smaller and a little different shape, but still is N95 equivalent. It is on page 261 of our catalog. It comes 35/box and the price is $40.79/box. Please take a look at that mask in our catalog. If you do not have a catalog, please visit our virtual catalog on our website at www.henryschein.com.
So, there you have it. Info on whether the gov't is ready (no), and a ready source (at least as of May 7) of N95 masks.
Hope I don't have to retract this post. It's so embarrassing.

No comments: