Sep 16, 2011

A vivid example of the dangers of Fracking

Is there any such thing as "adequate" regulation of an environmental hazard?  My friend with an insider's knowledge of FDA says no, and she peppers me with stories about how politics have made the job of reviewers difficult.  (Her experience dates back to the Bush years, so I calm myself by thinking that all of this has changed since the new leadership at the FDA has arrived.  (Some of those higher ups are holdovers, however, so why should I think they've changed their spots?) 
Well... this post is about hydraulic fracking, the environmental issue du jour for Pennsylvania, New York and Maryland.  Here is an article about some of the health problems that westerners in the path of fracking have experienced, brought to you by ProPublica, that innovative on-line source of investigative journalism.
Of course, I sit here with my new hip, wondering whether it's one of those metal-on-metal things that are failing at a rate of about 29% so far (based on British data...we Americans don't have registries, being ostriches as we are).  So, maybe FDA is more important than the future of the planet. 

No comments: