Dec 16, 2008

Seasonal Gifts from Doctor Bob

My oracle, Bobby P (U Del, Prof of Accting), has been sending me fun reads over the past month, and also fatherly advice.
Here is a fun & clickable viewing/reading list courtesy of Bob:

Bob and other readers have sent additional very funny stuff, but some was dirty or I couldn't verify their sources on the web, & didn't want to inadvertently violate intellectual property rights. (Yes, lawyer Jeff, I DO listen to you!) Well, just one: What's the difference between an investment banker and a pigeon? The pigeon can still make a deposit on a Ferrari. Finally, in this season of peace and good will, I leave you with a few nuggets of fatherly advice delivered unto me by the good sage, Prof Paretta.

  • "... avoid individual stock ownership and diversify through a low cost Indexed mutual fund like those offered by Vanguard - (S&P 500 fund, etc.)."
  • "...the percentage of equities to fixed income investments should be 100 minus your age."
  • "...remember Paretta's rule - In investing and war (and probably love too) the optimists suffer the largest casualties."
  • "...be wary of expert opinions on what the market will do next unless they have a crystal ball that is still under a manufacturer's warranty."

So, until the end of the year, when I comment on comments, or until something new sticks in my craw, that's all folks.

No comments: