Aug 2, 2009

Save, Save Save!....er, no...Spend, Spend, Spend!

Am I the only one tired of the mixed (confused?) signals our economic "leaders" (Larry and Tim and Ben) are sending about what we should do with our money? We Americans have spent ourselves into a debt hole in the past 20 years, courtesy of China, mainly, which has bankrolled us. Just a few months back, we were hearing about the crisis in credit card debt due to our profligate spending on cheap Asian goods over the past 20 years.
Now we consumers are being blamed for the failure of the economy to respond to the gadzillions being poured into it by the government. If we just save it, they whine, then all that spending won't do what they want it to do. Make the economy look better and therefore make THEM look better.
So, what should I do? Here's how I'm thinking about the save vs. spend dilemma. Part of me wants to save save save for the rainy day that I absolutely KNOW in my gut is on the way. That day will bring torrents of inflation, mainly through collapse of the dollar, but also because oil prices will gradually sneak upwards. But, if I save, I must put my money in something that's inflation-proof, and those investments are hard to find. Especially since the big guys like Goldman Sachs chew up idiots like me who might try to invest in commodities. I really do not know how to invest in commodities.
On the other hand, I've wanted a lot of gadgets that look like fun. HDTV, smartphones, laptops, kindles, fitness monitors, new big computer screen, new desktop, Wii, etc. etc. And, new furniture, too. And new PJ's. All of these are made in China now. So, once China makes good on its hints that it will switch its currency away from the dollar, all those goodies will get much too expensive for me. So, I'm on a China spending spree right now.
I'll save later-- my savings will be in the form of higher taxes paid to the government when the bill comes due. Since I can't keep everyone else from spending their stimulus-gotten dollars on cheap China, and since I'll have to share in the forced saving known as paying back government debt through taxes, I might as well have a few gizmos to show for it.

No comments: