Oct 12, 2010

Vitamin D status & elective orthopedic surgery

At last, dear reader, the orthopedic surgeons have come around to the realization that cutting into people's bones without testing their Vitamin D status is neanderthal. Here is a report of a speech by a leading orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. Soon, I predict, it will constitute poor quality, if not outright malpractice, for elective procedures such as hip, knee or shoulder surgery to proceed without a vitamin D lab test and appropriate corrective D therapy.
I learned my lesson on D and elective orthopedic surgery the hard way. Maybe a fundamental understanding of the importance of vitamin d status to bone healing will quickly infiltrate the profession. Can't wait for my next follow up visit to find out whether my own orthopedic practice has evolved.

No comments: